Important UVA key-theft related links:

Update: All locks have been rekeyed permanently. Please see our most recent message


You may reference an archive of recent communications for the UVA community.

To submit a non-time-sensitive question for our team to review and answer, you may submit your question here.

NOTE: These FAQs are intended for our University Village Albany residents. This FAQ will be updated with new information frequently, so please continue to visit this site for information.


Registration/Enrollment and Rent Questions:


I can’t pay my rent, what should I do? Will I be evicted?

First and foremost, we are committed to keeping our students and student families at UVA in their homes during the pandemic. However, it is crucial that students who are unable to pay rent reach out to Cal Housing (apts@berkeley.edu) as soon as possible so that we can work with them to find solutions for rent payment.


How can I renew my housing contract to continue living at UVA beyond June 30, 2022?

All University Village residents wishing to continue living at UVA after June 30, 2022, are required to be enrolled at UC Berkeley in 2022-23 and be on a current 2022-23 Rental Agreement.  

Phase One instructions of the renewal rental agreement process:

Using your Calnet credentials, log in to your housing application on portal.housing.berkeley.edu. On the instructions page click on Applying for Family Student Housing.

Family members: your family members who are living with you will be auto-populated on the portal and you will find their names and dates of birth at the bottom of the Family Info page of your housing account. If there are new family members to add to the rental agreement please add their names and dates of birth on the Family Info page and upload the required documentation to show family relationship. If a family member listed is no longer living with you, please remove their name from your housing account on the Family Info page.

Once you get to the Holding Page on the portal you will have completed Phase One of the renewal rental agreement process.

When you have completed Phase One of the renewal rental agreement, you will be emailed instructions for Phase Two/completion of the renewal rental agreement.

If you have questions regarding the rental agreement renewal, feel free to email us at apts@berkeley.edu or you can refer to Renewal frequently asked questions here: https://housing.berkeley.edu/family-student-housing-renewal-faqs.


How can I renew my housing contract to continue living at UVA beyond June 30, 2022, if I have past-due rent?

It is crucial that students who have past-due rent reach out to Cal Housing (apts@berkeley.edu) as soon as possible so that we can work with them to find solutions for rent payment. 

A Cal Housing repayment plan will be required for balances past due that are not paid, or could be covered by the Alameda County Emergency Rental Assistance Program

As noted, all University Village residents wishing to continue living at UVA after June 30, 2022, are required to be enrolled at UC Berkeley in 2022-23 and be on a current 2022-23 Rental Agreement.

The University annually reviews current eligibility and conduct compliance, including being on a current rental agreement.  The eligible resident must be a registered UC Berkeley undergraduate or graduate student.  The eligible resident and their family member(s) will be subject to a termination notice should they fail to adhere to eligibility requirements and/or fail to adhere to housing rules and regulations.  

The University may terminate a resident’s Rental Agreement and all rights of occupancy upon sixty days' notice should the resident not renew their Rental Agreement for the following academic year by following the update instructions and deadlines set forth in the University.  Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of the Rental Agreement and the resident will be served a Termination Notice.

If you do not wish to live at UVA for the coming year, please let us know by emailing us at apts@berkeley.edu.


How do I know if I’m still eligible for UVA housing?

The University annually reviews current eligibility and conduct compliance, including being on a current rental agreement.  The eligible resident must be a registered UC Berkeley undergraduate or graduate student.  


Will I be able to enroll this year if I have past due UVA rent?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University is making an exception for current students with UVA housing balances and will allow them to enroll for the 2022-23 academic year.  This one-year grace period is for students who sign up for a repayment plan with Cal Housing and remain current on their repayment plan. Carrying a housing balance during the one-year academic grace period will not affect a student’s ability to continuously enroll. 

As the Alameda County Rental Assistance Program is taking longer than anticipated to disburse funds, we will also allow students with a housing balance who have applied for assistance from Alameda County to become registered for fall 2022 and enroll for spring 2023.

For students with a housing balance who did not apply for rental assistance, please know that other resources are available to you.

  • International students - please contact the Berkeley International Office (internationaloffice@berkeley.edu)
  • Graduate students - please contact the Graduate Division (gradlife@berkeley.edu)
  • Undergraduate students with general questions about financial aid, registration, or billing- please contact Cal Student Central
  • If none of these categories apply to you, please contact Cal Housing at apts@berkeley.edu and we will review your situation on a case-by-case basis Please note that some offices may take 5-7 business days to review and respond to your inquiry.

Students who carry a housing balance after July 1, 2022 and not an on active repayment plan with Cal Housing, will be subject to the standard campus practices for past due accounts. More detailed information regarding repayment plans is available from Cal Housing (apts@berkeley.edu).


Will my registration be blocked if I have a past due housing balance and do not sign up for a repayment plan through Cal Housing?

Yes, a hold will be placed against your registration if you are not on an active repayment plan with Cal Housing for any past due rent that is not paid, or could be covered by the Alameda County Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

Will I be able to graduate with a housing balance?

You will be able to graduate and receive your transcript, however; the Registrar’s office will withhold your diploma until the balance has been paid in full. For more information, please visit the Registrar’s FAQ website.


Will the University send me to collections or share my information with the Franchise Tax Board if I have a housing balance?

We do not place active student accounts with a collection agency or submit them to the Franchise Tax Board.

What assistance is available to help me with current or past due rent?

Our Financial Aid and Scholarships Office can help you determine options to cover costs, including adjustments for living expenses. Set up a consultation with Cal Student Central to discuss your options.

It is crucial that students who need help with current or past due rent reach out to Cal Housing (apts@berkeley.edu) as soon as possible so that we can work with them to find solutions for rent payment. 

Cal Housing will continue to offer repayment plans (as we always do) to any student who wants to follow a set rent payback schedule to make progress with lowering the rental debt they owe. Reach out to Cal Housing (apts@berkeley.edu). 


Do I have to pay interest?

No. We have committed to not charging interest for housing balances.


When will evictions return?

The campus is not initiating eviction proceedings for nonpayment of rent at this time. We will inform you well in advance if the campus decides that pandemic conditions have abated to the point that evictions for nonpayment of rent are going to commence. It’s important to note that the campus has rarely evicted students for nonpayment of rent before the pandemic. We expect that such evictions will again be rare after the pandemic.  


I have past due housing charges, how do I know where my payment will be applied?

When you receive aid, all of your accepted financial aid for a current term will apply toward charges on your account before refunds are issued. This means Financial Aid will apply to the oldest charges in the current or prior term of the same academic year first. Please also visit How Financial Aid Works.

For recipients of the Alameda County Emergency Rental Assistance Program, payments are required to be applied to the month(s) of past due rent, as specified by the county.


What if I want a payment to be applied differently to the rules outlined above?

This option only applies to a student’s personal payments.

Students can provide written instruction (by creating a ticket through Cal Student Central) to:

  • Apply their payment to the oldest housing charge on the account. 

  • Indicate that the payment is not intended for housing charges.  

    • Payments not intended for housing will apply to the oldest tuition and fees / miscellaneous charges, then the next oldest, and so on.  

    • Students cannot select specific non-housing charges to pay.  

*  Note that this does not apply to financial aid disbursements, which may pay outstanding receivables, per campus policies.


Do you still need help or have questions?

Please direct any questions or concerns you have to apts@berkeley.edu.





Financial Aid Questions:


What are my financial aid options?

Students are encouraged to file a financial aid application and complete all required tasks as soon as possible. 

Students may also visit the UC Berkeley COVID-19 Student Relief Funds website to explore other possible local campus support funds with the Basic Needs Center on a case-by-case basis. 

Please contact Cal Student Central (create a case online) for assistance with your financial aid.


What if I need more financial aid than I was initially awarded?

If you have expenses that exceed the standard cost of attendance, you can submit a  Cost of Attendance Adjustment Request Form.  





Basic Needs and Mental Health Resources Questions:


What basic needs options are there on campus?

We understand that for any resident who needs to self-isolate or self-quarantine, obtaining food may prove challenging. The UVA Bear Pantry and diaper bank remain open and operating. During this time, we have increased our funding for Bear Pantry and have also relaxed our income restrictions. The Basic Needs Center also has a Food Pantry that remains open on select days. Please email basicneedssupport@berkeley.edu or call (510) 859-7507 (Monday-Friday 9 am.-6 p.m.) for immediate support. 


What mental health resources are available at UVA?

UHS Social Services counselors are also available for counseling appointments by phone.  If you are an established client you can directly contact your counselors Zenaida Hernandez at (510) 520-7031 and Jason Straussman (510) 561-8199. If you are a new client, please call our front office at (510) 642-6074.  Also, UHS has additional mental health resources to help during these times. 





Childcare Questions:


Is UVA ECEP’s location open?

ECEP’s UVA center is open and accepting new applications for children. Extra precautions have been put in place to protect children, their families, and staff members. Our teaching staff have completed ongoing training on new health and safety protocols to reduce the risks of COVID-19 transmission within our child care centers. At drop-off and pick-up, adults are required to wear a mask and engage in social distancing. Each center will have designated stations outside of the classroom for conducting wellness checks.

For more information, please visit ECEP’s website at ece.berkeley.edu


What support, if any, will we have if our children do not return to the classroom?

If you rely on a school, a daycare or another facility to care for a child, elderly parent or another household member so that you can work (only applies to work, not school), and that facility has been shut down because of coronavirus, you may also be eligible for unemployment benefits.  


Since there is less access to childcare, will the emergency dependent care hours be increased?

At this time, we do not have an increase in the available emergency care hours. 


What are my other childcare options?

Below is a list of backup childcare resources offered by the University of California, if needed:






Medical / Testing / SHIP Questions: 


What should I do if I feel sick or someone in my household thinks they may be sick?

University Health Services is open and providing care. If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact UHS at (510) 643-7197. You can also get health and mental health information on our UHS coronavirus webpage. If you or your partner lose your private health insurance, the student and their dependents are eligible for the Student Health Insurance Program. To obtain coverage, please complete a Waiver Reversal.


Does my family have health insurance?

All registered students at the University of California are required to meet the university’s health insurance mandate. Registered UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students are automatically enrolled in the Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) as a way to meet this mandate unless they have proof of other qualifying health insurance. Voluntary SHIP plans provide coverage for “dependents” such as a spouse or registered domestic partner and dependent children. See https://uhs.berkeley.edu/insurance/insurance-dependents, or for additional questions, (510) 642-2000.

For non-student residents without SHIP, the City of Berkeley has information on its website around assistance with signing up for Medical. 


What testing options are there available?

For the latest on your testing requirements, always be sure to visit this UHS page. For details on how and where to get tested, visit this UHS page.


Myself or my relative is experiencing a mental health crisis. Are there resources for them/us?

If you are feeling overwhelmed and would like support, Village Social Worker Zenaida Hernandez and Social Work Fellow Jason Strausmann are available to meet over the phone. You can reach Zenaida at 510-520-7031 and Jason at 510-561-8199.  

Additionally, counselors at University Health Services (UHS) at the Tang Center are available for urgent concerns: Counseling and Psychological Services website or (510) 642-9494 (after-hours counseling line (855) 817-5667). Please see UHS’s Managing Fear resource for more information and the CDC’s recommendations for managing the stress and anxiety that many experience in a pandemic, including how to identify stress in children and teens. 





UVA Community Questions:


May children use the playground? 

We have reopened the outside playgrounds.

My neighbors are very noisy during the day - I'm in classes and can't concentrate when I hear kids playing! What should I do?

If you aren’t able to reach a reasonable solution with your neighbors, or if you experience an egregious noise violation, you may notify us if a community member isn’t in compliance with the following:

  • Disruption during quiet hours, defined as the time between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. Sunday-Thursday, and 1a.m. to 10 a.m. Friday-Saturday, with unreasonable noise prohibited in all residential facilities, courtyards and surrounding areas. Unreasonable noise is any noise that disrupts or potentially disrupts the lives of residents or neighboring community members, such as a house party. 
  • Disrupting Courtesy Hours, which are in effect 24 hours, 7 days a week, and which can be broken by any unreasonable noise that disrupts or potentially disrupts the sleep or studying of other students at any time is prohibited. 
  • Use of amplified sound, which may include subwoofers and musical instruments, in outdoor areas without permission of a Residential staff member is prohibited. 

As a reminder, the Residential Code of Conduct is available online, as is our Village Manual.


I’m experiencing internet connectivity issues at UVA and it’s impacting my ability to study and learn. What can I do?


We strongly recommend UVA residents use the Eduroam Wi-Fi provided via the newly installed Aruba access points. If you also require a wired connection for your laptop or other devices, visit https://studenttech.berkeley.edu/uva for setup and troubleshooting tips.


  • For additional support, please contact Student Tech Services through Zoom, phone or email. Student Technology Services (STS) is paying special attention to requests from University Village at this time so they can receive timely assistance and/or escalation as needed.

The University wishes to ensure that all students have equitable access to the technology resources they need to support research, teaching, and learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. If the technology resources you have available to you do not enable your effective participation in remote instruction or other academic work, please consider the following resources.


Residents completed a survey and received results about our thoughts and ideas on safety improvements.  Any progress on implementing any of those changes?

Negotiations are underway to receive funding for multiple high priority projects with great impact to the residents, including updating the internet capabilities and relieving staffing issues. The proposal is currently at the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs level and we are hopeful we will be able to move forward with many of the changes before the end of the school year.


Why were Community Garden plots not available this year?

Previously-registered gardeners have been allowed to renew their plots, but we are not accepting new gardeners. We hope to open the garden to new gardeners in the future. To check for updates, please visit our website: https://www.ucvillagegarden.net/. For questions, please email help@ucvillagegarden.net.


Is smoking permitted at UVA?

UC Berkeley is a tobacco-free environment, and that includes campus residences such as University Village. Tenants are responsible for ensuring that their family, other occupants, and guests comply with the tobacco-free policy.


If the campus loses power due to a public safety power shutoff or wildfires, will UVA?

Not necessarily, as we are on a different power grid than the main campus. However, we would encourage all residents to be prepared for power outages should they occur, and have bottled water, packaged or canned food, and formula on hand, as well as portable power chargers.


Why is the no-pet policy not being enforced?

We do allow assistive animals if they are approved in advance. Fish in tanks under 20 gallons, small animals in tanks under 10 gallons, and caged birds, are also permitted on the premises.

If you are being seriously impacted by a neighbor’s pet or assistive animal, you may contact the Village Office to report egregious issues.


Are we going to have another town hall meeting in the near future?

We will continue to have town hall discussions on an as-needed basis, as we understand the importance of hearing from our residents.

We are planning to ideally have at least one townhall-type meeting per semester (including summers), either virtually or in-person at UVA, as health conditions allow. We will communicate more on this in the future as we develop these plans.





What are some alternatives being discussed to improve security other than increasing police presence?

There is an ongoing lighting project which will increase the illumination across UVA. We have partnered with a company that will be switching all exterior lights to LEDs and replacing worn/fogged up covers.


Can we install more cameras around UVA to prevent theft? 

The infrastructure at UVA is not set up for the easy installation of cameras, but it's a long-term goal we have. Especially in light of recent events, we are exploring our options regarding camera installation. 


How will we ensure that the increase in policing is not accompanied by an increase in racial profiling?

 This is a real concern for many, as it came up in several questions. This is something that we are mindful of, and will continue to partner with UCPD on our overall strategy to be less reliant on law enforcement from UCPD. One way we are reimagining security at UVA is through leveraging our Community Assistants (CA) who can observe and address concerns in the community in lieu of UCPD officers.


Can UVA become a gated community?

Installing a gate isn’t a feasible option, because it would impact our AC Transit service, make it more difficult to get packages delivered, slow down emergency response, and create a barrier for guests.