Legal Issues, Student Conduct, and University Disputes

Center for Student Conduct
Phone: (510) 643-9069 | Email:

The Center for Student Conduct (CSC) administers the UC Berkeley Code of Student Conduct, promoting academic integrity, balancing individual and community interests in order to encourage student accountability, and connecting students to resources that foster student success. In addition to managing conduct cases, CSC also does outreach and education for the campus community on student rights and responsibilities, the role of faculty and staff in addressing academic and behavioral misconduct, and the roles and responsibilities of registered student organizations in upholding the Code of Student Conduct.

Ombud’s Office for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees
Phone: (510) 642-5754

The Ombuds Office for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees provides confidential assistance for students working through a campus-related conflict, formal grievance, or concern. The Ombud’s office listens, serves as a sounding board, discusses options, and can help provide a new perspective and determine the next steps to take.

Student Legal Services | 102 Sproul Hall

The Attorney for Students advises currently registered Cal students regarding their legal questions, rights, and obligations. A student legal consultation might include (but is not limited to): a landlord-tenant dispute, a citation for a criminal infraction or misdemeanor, filing an action in California Small Claims Court, questions related to credit card debt and/or collection actions, issues arising from a car accident or auto insurance, or questions about family law. Consultations are free and confidential, and counsel is limited to California law only.

ASUC Student Advocate's Office
Phone: (510) 642-6912 | Email:

UC Berkeley’s student government (ASUC) offers the Student Advocate’s Office which is staffed by student volunteers committed to providing support and advocacy to students. SAO caseworkers can help with questions about grade appeals, enrollment status, financial aid, residency for tuition purposes, SHIP, student conduct cases, and grievances against the university.

California Victims of Crime Compensation Board
CalVCB Helpline: (800) 777-9229 | Email:

The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) can help pay bills and expenses that result from violent crime. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help. Click here to learn more about how to apply for services and compensation.