UC Berkeley Campus Grievance Procedures for Students

During their time at UC Berkeley, students may need to address a concern they have within the University community. Per the UCOP Policy on Student Grievance Procedures, the campus is required to have grievances procedures to address some of these concerns. This page outlines some of the processes available to students to report these to the University for appropriate response and follow-up. 


FERPA Violation Process


Student Conduct Process 

  • This procedure should be used for complaints against students or student organizations who have allegedly violated the Code of Student Conduct.
  • https://conduct.berkeley.edu/


Process for Addressing Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment (including Title IX): 

  • This procedure should be used for complaints against faculty, staff, or students in the community that have engaged in behavior that falls under the umbrella of sexual violence or sexual harassment. Note: Department of Education (DOE) covered conduct is a subset of the broader SVSH policy and must proceed in accord with the DOE covered conduct processes (for example: Appendix F in cases with a student respondent).
  • https://ophd.berkeley.edu/submit-report-harassment-or-discrimination


Process for Addressing Other Protected Class Discrimination and Harassment: 

  • This procedure should be used to address complaints against faculty, staff, or students in the community that have engaged in behavior that is discriminatory or harassing in nature related to any one of the following categories (race, color, national origin, religion, pregnancy, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services) mirrors the investigatory process used to address SVSH complaints against faculty, staff, or students in the community. 


Disability Grievance Process


Grade Appeal Process


Research Misconduct Process


After reviewing this information, do you feel unsure of where to begin? 

  • One resource students can access is the Ombuds Office for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees. If you would like assistance sorting through a campus-related conflict or concern, please contact them. The Ombudsperson will listen to your concerns, serve as a sounding board, explore options with you, and help you get a new perspective and determine the next steps to take. The office is strictly confidential and no one will know you have spoken with them unless you give permission. The only exception to this confidentiality is where there appears to be imminent risk of serious harm or danger. In the interest of maintaining confidentiality, the Ombuds Office requests that everyone seeking assistance contact the Student Ombuds Office by phone [(510) 642-5754] only and not by dropping by the office or by e-mail. 
  • A second resource to assist students in navigating some of these processes is the Student Advocate’s Office (SAO). SAO is a student-staffed office out of the ASUC. They offer free, confidential casework services and resources to any student(s) navigating issues with the University, including academic, conduct, financial aid, and grievance concerns. All support is centered around students and aims for an equity-based approach. Students who wish to ask a question or open a case can contact SAO by email at help@berkeleysao.org, by phone at (510) 642-6912, or by stopping by their office in Eshleman 412B.