March 13, 2020 - Housing options and FAQs

UC Berkeley Vice Chancellor Stephen Sutton sent the following message to all undergraduate and graduate students 03/13/2020:​


As you saw in the Chancellor’s message, classes for the remainder of the spring semester will be conducted via remote instruction. As a result, you may wish to leave the campus or you may choose to remain and practice social distancing, handwashing, and other ways to stay healthy. We are here to support your decision. For students who choose to continue living on-campus, we are committed to ensuring you have a safe and healthy living environment.

Students living in undergraduate on-campus housing (residence hall, apartment, affiliated properties)

Students may choose to continue to live on-campus. If so, you will be able to remain on-campus through the end of your housing contract, May 17, 2020. It is possible we will close one or more of the residence halls and relocate students into fewer locations, as well as adjust our operations to improve social distancing (e.g., spreading students out, delivering box meals, scheduling use of common facilities, etc). These decisions will be made once we understand how many students choose to remain. Cal Dining will remain open with modified service and you can continue to use your meal plans as usual. Dining may need to consolidate services and change hours of operation within Dining restaurants and retail locations. Should residential units be consolidated, we will reevaluate the need to continue to operate all dining units.

If you choose to remain, financial aid for your housing expenses will continue as planned. If you relied on an off-campus part-time job and are no longer able to continue that job, you can request a cost of attendance adjustment or an emergency loan, depending on the urgency of the need. If you have any other financial aid-related questions, please contact Cal Student Central as soon as possible: The university is making accommodations for students with on-campus jobs, including work-study jobs. Please connect with your supervisor for more details.

Students living in on-campus housing who choose to permanently move out will receive a prorated refund for their room and board/housing and dining fees for the remainder of the semester with no penalty by following this process:

  • Fill out a housing cancellation form and submit it electronically to Cal Housing at least five business days prior to your move out (for example, submit by March 25 for an April 1 cancellation date). 

  • Select one of three cancellation date options: 

    • April 1

    • April 10 

    • April 20

  • After April 20, we will not offer any further cancellations and you will be financially responsible for the remainder of your contract. 

  • Move out all of your belongings and return all keys to the front desk on your selected cancellation date. 

  • A housing staff member will verify your key return and check the room to ensure vacancy. Your student account will be credited once both are completed. 

  • You must submit a cancellation form to receive a refund. Please note that simply moving out of housing will not meet the criteria and you will not receive any refund. 

  • If you are not able to move out on the specified dates above, please choose the cancellation date following your actual move out.

Please check the CalHousing website in the coming days for move out resources (e.g., movers and storage options) and additional details. 

Students living in graduate and family student housing

As these contracts are on a different cycle, graduate students and those at University Village who wish to move out due to the COVID-19 situation must submit an Intent to Vacate form to Cal Housing noting the preferred move out date at least ten business days prior (UVA Intent to Vacate form, single graduate student Intent to Vacate form). We are relaxing the 30-day notice given the special circumstances but still need time to accommodate your selected date. You may choose a later date up to May 31, 2020. 

Students living in Bowles Hall, International House (i-House), co-ops, fraternities, and sororities

Bowles Hall, International House (I-House), co-ops, fraternities, and sororities are not owned by the campus and have their own housing policies. Please contact your building/house manager for details. In the event your current housing will close down and you do not have other options or would prefer to stay in Berkeley, please contact Cal Housing for assistance in securing a university housing contract. 

Financial aid for your housing expenses will continue as planned (see above for more details).

Students living in private homes or apartments

If you live off-campus in a private residence, you may be responsible for paying rent for the remainder of the term of your lease. Read more about leases at

Financial aid for your housing expenses will continue as planned (see above for more details).

Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we work to keep students and our broader UC Berkeley community healthy and safe.

You can find some Frequently Asked Questions below and more online at