Conduct Banner

Reporting Misconduct

Completely fill out the Incident Report Form to file a report for an alleged non-academic policy violation.



First Steps
When you are faced with a possible case of academic dishonesty involving your students, the Center for Student Conduct recommends that you collect all the documentation on the situation, such as statements from graduate student instructors or other witnesses, and the exam, paper, or assignment in question. Then arrange a meeting with the student to discuss your suspicions with the student.   Here is some specific advice (from Barbara Gross Davis, Tools for Teaching, pp. 301-2).

  • If you have qualms or hesitations, talk with an experienced colleague or your department chair before you meet with the student.
  • Consult with the Center for Student Conduct for specific guidelines and due process procedures.
  • When you meet with the student, objectively explain the problem as you see it.
  • Describe why this is a problem in grading or evaluating the student's work.
  • Avoid using the words "cheating" or "plagiarism."
  • Project an air of concern for the student as an individual, but communicate the seriousness of the situation.
  • Listen to the student's explanation.
  • If a student denies any wrongdoing, question him or her about specific aspects of, say, the paper by asking for definitions of terms, interpretations, or restatements.

Resolution Options

    1. Resolve Yourself

  • Student NOT Responsible -End matter.
  • Student Admits and Accepts Academic Sanctions

Faculty Disposition for Academic Dishonesty: With the student, complete this form and assign an “academic sanction”. Upon receipt of the Faculty Disposition, the Center for Student Conduct will send the student a “non-reportable warning” and keep a copy of the disposition on file for informational purposes only.  Please note, if the student has multiple academic integrity violations and/or the violation is particularly egregious the sanctions may be more severe.

    2. Refer Directly to the Center for Student Conduct

  • You Do Not Feel Comfortable Approaching the Student
  • Student Admits but Case Is Egregious
  • Student Does Not Admit or Agree to Academic Sanction
  • Student Wishes the Matter Reviewed by the Center

Discipline Referral for Academic Dishonesty: Complete this form to forward the case to the Center for administrative review and resolution. Once you refer the case, the Center will work with you to resolve the case by notifying you of the receipt of the complaint and the possible code sections violated, requesting a recommendation from you on the sanction(s) should the student be found in violation, and notifying you when the case is completed.  When a case is under investigation by the Center, you should refrain from assigning a final grade for the course.  Should the course conclude before the investigation is completed, it is recommended that you submit an “Incomplete.”

Academic Sanctions
Academic sanctions by instructors are governed by a November 7, 1987 memo from the Academic Senate Committee on Courses to all instructors.  This memo states that “[a]n instructor may assign an F grade both to the assignment in which the cheating occurred and, when the offense is sufficiently serious, for the course as a whole.  A student should, however, always be informed of the action taken.  The student should also be told of the right to a grade appeal, if he or she considers the grade unfair.”  Copies of this memo at the Academic Senate, 320 Stephens Hall.


Faculty Disposition Form