Student Service Systems
The charge of the office of Student Service Systems is to design and implement the next generation of student systems for UC Berkeley.
The unit’s goals are to:
- Improve the student experience online from prospect to alumni,
- Update the campus’s aging infrastructure for student systems; and
- Provide better online tools for faculty, staff, and students.
For 2010-11, Student Service Systems has three projects:
- Implement a course management system – Fall 2010-Spring 2011
- Begin development of a new enrollment system
- Implement myBerkeley, a student portal, in Fall 2011
The course management and enrollment systems will be based on software from Kuali Student, a community source software initiative.
The myBerkeley student portal project is a partnership between Student Service Systems and Educational Technology Services (ETS) and is part of the Student Services design initiative of Operational Excellence. The portal will be based on Sakai 3 software from the Sakia Foundation, another community source software consortium.
Student Service Systems works in close partnership with IS&T and ETS to deliver new software for Berkeley. Our work is informed by a number of staff and student advisory groups. Both staff and students actively participate in our software design and development efforts. If you would like to learn more about our work, or how you can become involved, please feel free to contact me.
Director, Student Service Systems
Projects and Partners
- Educational Technology Services (ETS)
- Kuali Student
- myBerkeley Project
- Operational Excellence
- Sakia Foundation