Student Liaison Position
The Student Advisory Committee to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (VCSAC) offers an exceptional opportunity for interested UC Berkeley students to provide counsel to Vice Chancellor Harry Le Grande concerning the quality of student life and the co-curricular experience. Students serving on the VCSAC will provide direct advice and feedback to the Student Affairs division on the campus administration and help influence decisions concerning student services at Cal. Membership on the committee varies from 12-15 members depending upon the application pool of a given year.
In order to give students more voice in the work of the Student Affairs Division of UC Berkeley, a Student Liaison will be retained as an employee of the office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
To develop and implement a strategy for engaging the Vice Chancellor with various student constituencies in an effort to improve the student experience at Berkeley.
The incumbent will:
- Identify key student organizations and help facilitate meetings between the Vice Chancellor with these groups (for example, Graduate Assembly, ASUC, RHA, Bridges, etc.).
- Create similar opportunities for groups of students such as student athletes, disabled students, transfer students, student parents, etc.
- Assist in establishing town hall-type meetings as needed for specific areas of, or else the general, student population.
- Represent the Vice Chancellor’s office at meetings with students.
- Coordinate the Vice Chancellor’s Student Advisory Committee, create selection process and meeting schedule, and, working with the Vice Chancellor, create agenda topics.
- Working with the Vice Chancellor’s office, keep track of issues raised at all meetings and work on any necessary follow-up.
- Apprise the Vice Chancellor of emerging student issues.
- Establish a relationship with the Student Regent when possible to keep regents abreast of issues of concern on campus.
- Create opportunities for exchange of ideas between SA staff and students. Make recommendations to the VC for ways to foster more staff/student collaboration.
- Help facilitate student participation in various projects and collaboration with Senior Administrative officials as needed.
- When appropriate, the incumbent may have the opportunity to shadow the vice chancellor as he attends administrative meetings that impact student-related issues.
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable speaking to large groups and reaching out to individuals and groups across the campus
- Vision and goal-oriented
- Willing to work 10-12 hours/week
- Previous experience on the Vice Chancellor’s Student Advisory Committee is preferred
- $1800 stipend per semester — work study available
Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 2016 with "Student Liaison Application" in the subject line.
For more information about the Vice Chancellor’s Student Advisory Committee, please visit: