Student Legal Services Tip Sheets
Please refer to the following Tip Sheets for general information about legal topics that commonly impact students. For specific questions, currently registered UC Berkeley students should schedule an appointment with Student Legal Services.
- Acohol: MIP and Fake ID
- Auto Accidents
- Hiring a Lawyer
- Interacting with Law Enforcement
- Leases and Rental Agreements
- Security Deposits
- Small Claims Court: Insider's Guide
- Tenant Guide: Becoming a Tenant in Berkeley (publication of the Berkeley Rent Board)
- Terminating a Lease
The information in these articles is general in nature. For specific legal questions, consult with an attorney.
Currently registered UC Berkeley students can call Student Legal Services for an appointment at (510) 664-7487.
The following publications contain useful information and guidance on a wide variety of issues:
- California Department of Consumer Affairs Resource and Referral Guide (PDF): A comprehensive list of consumer assistance agencies and resources for many topics, including automobiles, employment, health and medical services, household goods, insurance, pets, social services, and voting.
- California Landlord-Tenant Guide (PDF): A detailed guide to tenants' legal rights in California.
- Self-Help Legal Information: A Web site published by the California Courts offering detailed guidance on numerous common legal issues, including Small Claims Court, Family Law, Name Changes, and Traffic Court.