Form: Sublease Agreement
[Download this form as a .doc (Word) file]
This Sublease Agreement is made between ________________________, individually or collectively as the "Sublandord," and ___________________________, as the "Subtenant," together referred to as the "Parties."
The Parties agree that the Subtenant shall lease from the Sublandord a portion of the Sublandlord’s interest in the premises located at __________________________________________, California (the "Premises") on the following terms:
1. Sublease Term. The term of the Sublease will be for a period of ___________ months, beginning on _________________ and ending on __________________.
2. Rent. Subtenant will pay a total monthly rent of $__________. Rent will be payable on the first day of each month directly to the Sublandord.
3. Security Deposit. Subtenant will pay $_________ to Sublandord as a security deposit. Deductions permitted by California law may be made from the security deposit and the remainder, if any, shall be returned to Subtenant within 21 days of the termination of Subtenant’s tenancy. The security deposit may not be used as last month’s rent.
4. Termination Notice. Subtenant’s tenancy will terminate on the date specified in Section 1 above, unless Sublandord and Subtenant sign another written agreement prior to the end of tenancy providing for an additional period of tenancy. Subtenant is not responsible for finding a replacement upon the termination of his/her tenancy.
5. Subtenant’s Interest in the Premises. Subtenant is one of ______ total tenants occupying the Premises (the "Tenants"). Subtenant ___ will ___ will not share a bedroom at the Premises. If Subtenant will share a bedroom, it will be shared with _____________________________. Subtenant may share all of the common spaces (e.g., living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom) in the Premises equally with the other Tenants.
6. Overnight Guests. The Subtenant ___ does ___ does not need to obtain Sublandlord’s permission prior to the stay of any overnight guest(s).
7. Utility and Telephone Charges. The Subtenant agrees to pay _______% of all utility charges. The Subtenant will pay _______% of the fixed monthly telephone service charges and Subtenant will pay 100% of those telephone charges for which s/he is directly and individually responsible.
8. Household Chores. The Tenants will divide all household chores as follows: ____________________________________________________________
9. Noise Level. During the hours of ___________, the Tenants will maintain a noise level that will permit all tenants to study.
10. Smoking. Smoking ___ is ___ is not allowed in the Premises.
11. Alcohol. Alcohol ___ is ___ is not allowed in the Premises.
12. Parking Space. The Subtenant agrees that s/he ___ is ___ is not entitled to use a parking space as part of this Sublease Agreement. The parking space, if any, is located at ____________________________________.
13. Master Lease. In addition to the provisions of this Sublease Agreement, the Subtenant agrees to be bound by all the conditions of the lease between Sublandord and the landlord, ________________ (the “Master Lease”). The Master Lease is attached to this Sublease Agreement for reference. The terms of the Master Lease are hereby incorporated into this Sublease Agreement. No representation that is not included here or in the Master Lease shall be binding upon the Parties.
14. Termination of Master Lease. If Sublandord terminates his/her tenancy in the Premises under the Master Lease, Sublandord will provide thirty (30) days’ notice to Subtenant. Subtenant agrees that if the Master Lease is terminated for any reason, this Sublease Agreement will terminate as of the same date.
15. Condition of the Premises. Subtenant acknowledges that s/he has examined the Premises and that they are in good condition ___ except as follows ______________________________________________________________________________________________. Upon the termination of this Sublease Agreement for any cause, Subtenant will leave the Premises in their original good condition, except for reasonable wear and tear. Subtenant is responsible for the repair of any damage resulting from the act or neglect of Subtenant or those persons who are invitees of the Subtenant.
16. Subleasing and Assignment. Subtenant may not lease, sublease, or assign the Premises without the prior written consent of the Sublandord.
17. Complete and Binding Agreement. All preliminary negotiations between the Parties are merged into, and superseded by, the terms of this Sublease. This Sublease will not be enforceable until signed by both Subtenant and Sublandord. Any modification to this Agreement must be in writing, signed by both Sublandord and Subtenant.
We, the Undersigned, agree to the above stated terms.
Print Name Print Name