Student Affairs Information Technology (SAIT)
Student Affairs Information Technology (SAIT) Delivers In-Room WiFi
In-room Wi-Fi has been top of the residential student wish list for years—and last year SAIT granted that wish by expanding wireless service to all residence hall rooms and common residential areas, including Maximino Martinez Commons. This achievement, which benefited more than 7,000 students, came about through the strategic partnering of SAIT, RSSP, IST Telecommunications, and AT&T. In summer 2014, Wi-Fi will expand into student apartments at Channing-Bowditch, Manville, and Jackson House. In addition, SAIT recruited, hired, and trained more than 100 SAIT student employees, providing them with meaningful skills and leadership opportunities.
- SAIT student employees Max Burkhardt, Anne Liu, Skyler Rojas, Jake Teton-Landis, Nick Wold, and Samuel Zhu participated in Berkeley’s cyberdefense team that won first place at the Western Region Collegiate Cyberdefense Competition, an event pitting 14 collegiate cyberdefense teams from California, Arizona, and Nevada against each other over a 24-hour period. In the competition, each eight-person team is given a network of approximately 20 servers and workstations that must be secured against constant attack from a professional security team.
- James Dudek and Jennifer Hopkins were selected by the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO) and his deputy to participate in the exclusive IT Leadership Program (ITLP), a national, yearlong program for staff from tier-one research universities.
- Keenan Parmelee, Anne Marie Richard, and Karl Locher were selected by the campus Chief Information Officer (CIO) and his deputy to earn Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation Certification in IT Service Management, the international standard and methodology for providing IT services, which the campus is embracing as our primary strategy for aligning service delivery.
- Tim Heidinger, Thomas (Tomo) O’Brien, Boris Orasov, and Tai-Yen Pao were part of the Campus Course Approval System team that received a Chancellor’s Outstanding Staff Award.
- Greg Snow, Frankie Pun, Tim Heidinger, Katie Dustin, and Anne Aaboe each received Achievement Awards.