Student Liaison for Dean of Students
Dean of Students Liaison
The Dean of Students Liaison is designed as a mentoring experience for undergraduate students wishing to explore and better understand the field of student affairs and/or higher education. Selected students work directly with the Dean of Students on community engagement projects and programs that build and support an inclusive campus culture.
Liaison/s receive, in addition to mentoring, access to the literature that guides the work of student affairs practitioners, are offered internships in offices within the Division of Student Affairs and are afforded the opportunity to attend the annual American College Personnel Association Convention where they meet and network with other students and professionals from across the nation who work in or are also interested in the field of Student Affairs.
The Current Dean of Students Liaisons
from left to right:
Karina Rodriguez Torres, Hathiya Chea, Prabhdeep Kehal, Nadeeka Karunaratne
Over the course of the coming year the Liaisons will assist with the following projects:
- Dean of Students Community Engagement Award
- Student Affairs Day
- Competition Day (featuring national award winning student organizations)
- Dean of Students Advisory Council coordination
- Student/UCPD Relationship Development
- Student Regent recruitment process
- Mental Health Awareness Campaign
- Campus Climate Issues/Dialogue Circles
- And many others to be determined by the Liaisons
Student Liaison Job Description
In an effort to increase the visibility of the Dean of Students and to promote broader interaction between the Dean of Students and students of Cal, the Student Liaison will be responsible for developing mechanisms and managing programs and outreach efforts. Specifically the Liaison will:
- Plan, coordinate and publicize monthly brown bag lunches with student groups and the Dean of Students. This would include:
- Coordinate the Dean of Students Quarterly Student Dinner
- Manage a gmail account for interaction with the Dean of Students.
- Assist in the creation of a quarterly newsletter to student groups about what the Dean has been doing, his ideas and his hopes.
- Coordinate the Dean of Students Community Engagement Award selection process once per semester for a student organization that exemplifies the spirit of collaboration and positive community engagement/action.
- Participate in the application, interview and selection process for the liaison position for the following year.
*Interest in pursing a career in the Student Affairs profession is mandatory
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable speaking to large groups and reaching out to individuals and groups across the campus
- Vision and Goal Oriented
- Willing to work 10-12 hours/week
How is the Student Liaison compensated?
The Student Liaisons are compensated with a $1,000 stipend that is paid out through out the academic year.
Please submit a one-page interest letter and a resume to the Office of the Dean of Students via email to email@example.com or in-person to Sproul 326. If you have questions about the process please contact the Student Liasions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: April 15th, every year