Students of Concern Committee

About Us
The Student of Concern Committee is a multi-disciplinary body of stakeholders from across the University which receives referrals pertaining to students* of concern, collects additional information, and identifies and enacts appropriate strategies for addressing the situation.

How to Refer a Student

Campus staff and faculty can refer a student to the Student of Concern Committee by submitting a report through our secure online form.






If the button is not working, copy and paste this link to your browser:
For consultation call: 510.664.4218

Please visit our When to Refer section below to learn more about referrable behaviors. For more detailed information about dealing with Students of Concern please review the Gold Folder at

*currently registered graduate and undergraduate UC Berkeley students


The purpose of this team is to provide a means for early intervention of at-risk students through collaboration with campus departments, faculty and staff.

Students exhibiting behaviors that are of concern in relation to their personal, physical and emotional well-being should be referred to this team of professionals.

The Students of Concern Committee is not meant to be the sole mechanism of communication and will not take the place of services provided by Counseling & Psychological Services, Center for Student Conduct, University Police or other established student services.

Committee's Responsibility to the Campus

  • To provide a centralized structure for campus departments and offices that need help dealing with a student who is displaying concerning, disruptive or distressed behavior.
  • To develop a strategic plan of action to ensure the safety of the student and the campus at large
  • The committee would ensure that information is shared among strategic partners concerned about student welfare.

Offices that are represented on the Committee:

  • Center for Student Conduct
  • Counseling & Psychological Services
  • UC Police Department
  • Disabled Students Program
  • Office of the Dean of Students
  • Residential Living
  • Berkeley International Office
  • Graduate Division

The committee also consults with:

  • Academic Advisors
  • Athletics
  • Fraternity & Sorority Life
  • Gender Equity
  • Campus Ministry Representatives


 General Process

Referable Behaviors

  • Unusual or erratic behavior in class, in the residence halls, during advising sessions, etc.
  • Extended absence from class or activities by a typically engaged student
  • Written work or creative expression with troubling themes or references
  • Verbal or written threats made by a student toward another student, faculty, or staff
  • Written or verbal expressions of suicidal ideation or intent
  • Other actions which cause an alarm or call into question the safety of the student or their peers.

When to Refer a Student

  • Marked changes in academic performance, a noticeable decline in personal appearance and/or a student repeatedly engaging in disruptive behaviors in class can all be signs of a student in crisis.
  • Some behavioral warning signs carry more weight than others and multiple indicators increase the risk of potential harm to self and/ or others.
  • If your efforts to manage a significant classroom behavioral issue has not resolved the problem If you are concerned about the welfare of a student, yourself and other students
  • If a student asks for help in dealing with personal issues that are out of your role as a faculty or staff member.

How to Refer a Student

Campus staff and faculty can refer a student to the Student of Concern Committee by submitting a report through our secure online form.




If the button is not working, copy and paste this link to your browser:
For consultation call: 510.664.4218


  • The email and phone listed above is not a 24 hour service to access to support
  • If there is an immediate threat to a student (either through self-harm or interpersonal violence) or the community, please call 911 or 510-642-3333.
  • If you believe a student is in need of immediate psychological help, when Counseling & Psychological Services is open call 510-642-9494; after hours call (510) 643-7197.

For behaviors that are of concern, either because they are out of character or persistent even after being addressed, a referral to the Committee may be the next step.

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What about FERPA protection?

A: FERPA pertains to the privacy of educational records, but it does not prohibit the reporting of observable behavior. If you are concerned about a personal interaction you have had with a student or an observation you have made pertaining to behavior, you are encouraged to report and/or consult with appropriate colleagues, especially as it relates to the educational mission of the University.


Q: What if my department already has a structure to deal with students of concern?

A: Great! You should continue to use that structure to proactively best support the student. In addition, we recommend you to still refer the student to the Student of Concern Committee. There is often another department or office that the student is in contact with and who may be having similar concerns that we are able to connect through multiple referrals.


Q: How is this team different than Behavioral Risk Assessment Team?

A: Behavioral Risk Assessment Team is a team that responds to high level, eminent campus crisis, once a situation occurs. Whereas, the Student of Concern Committee is a proactive small team that meet weekly to assess referrals, consult and at times intervene before the concern escalates violent or detrimental behavior to the student of concern or members of the campus community.


Q: Will I be contacted and updated about the student I refer?

A: Yes, you will be contacted to give the committee details about the concerning behavior. You may be updated with information as it pertains to the student’s interactions with you or your department. However, you will not be informed of details of conversations with the student or possible disciplinary action that may occur, depending on the situation.

Resource Documents

Places of Support on Campus

UCPD Police - Immediate emergency  911
UCPD Police - Non-emergency 510-642-6760
Students of Concern Committee
Report behavior & consultations about distressed students 
Counseling and Psychological Services
Referral/consult for mental health concerns
Counseling and Psychological Services 
After-Hours Assistance
Dean of Students Office
Consult for all student concerns
Disabled Student Program 510-642-0518
Gender Equity Resource Center 510-642-5730
Student Ombuds Office 510-642-5754
The Center for Student Conduct 510-643-9069
Title IX/Title VI Compliance Office 510-643-7985
University Health Services (Tang Center)   510-642-2000
Transfer, Re-entry & Student Parent Center  510-642-4257
Student Life Advising Services/Educational Opportunity Program 510-642-7224
Berkeley International Office 510-642-2818