Managing Performance Challenges
Where to Start?
There are many tools in your toolkit as a manager to assist an employee when they’re not yet meeting your expectations, but it can be hard to know which of them to use in a specific situation. Think about your situation, and review the flowchart below to decide where to start.
It is a best practice to attempt to solve the issue at the lowest level possible. This flowchart will help you avoid jumping into more time-intensive, resource-intensive, and formal processes unnecessarily. Most performance issues are best addressed by setting expectations and giving regular feedback to your employee, with progressive discipline as a last resort
For further resources, check out the articles below:
- Student Affairs Performance Improvement Plan
- Mind Tools: Dealing With Poor Performance, Lack of Ability, or Low Motivation?
- Mind Tools: Performance Agreements, Increasing Personal Accountability
- HCI: Performance Management Best Practices: The Challenges of Deploying Performance Management
- Video: Employee Performance Management Done Right